Resin-Based Coatings and the Benefits of PVDF

Resin-Based Coatings When choosing a coating, it is the resin that provides the adhesive quality that holds all other elements of the paint formulation together. Resin itself provides the backbone to the coating and is the main component in determining physical properties and the durability of the coating. It is important to know the key features of the resin when choosing a resin based coating. 

Polyvinylidene Fluoride, PVDF

A fluoropolymer resin is a polymer that is fluorocarbon-based with many carbon-fluorine bonds. Well-known characteristics of a fluoropolymer are high resistance to acids, bases, and solvents. Fluoropolymer resins are well-known for properties such as providing ultraviolet (UV) resistance to avoid damage from UV exposure. Another well-known characteristic is the nonstick properties of fluoropolymer resins. Perhaps the most well-known fluoropolymer is polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as Teflon™, which was termed by the DuPont Company in 1946.

One of the best performing fluoropolymer resins is Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF). PVDF is a resin that is commonly used in architectural coatings due to exceptional characteristics including environmental toughness and resistance to weathering. PVDF also provides a low melting point, high crystallinity, good thermal stability, purity, resistance to chemicals and non-stick properties. PVDF provides a low density when compared to other fluoropolymers.

PVDF is a semi-crystalline thermoplastic which is beneficial in many applications that require the highest purity and resistance to harsh chemicals. PVDF also provides the characteristics of having the highest resistance to radiation available in plastics, seconded only by Polyamide and PEEK. Another highly desirable property of PVDF is the insolubility and electrical properties that are derived from the polarity of alternating CH2 and CH2 groups on the polymer chain.

PVDF Coatings and Coil Coating Solutions 

When PVDF is utilized for high-performance coatings, it typically makes up at least 70% of the binder in the coatings while the other 30% is made up of an acrylic resin. When exceptional durability is desired in prepainted, coil coatings, PVDF is one of the most popular resin-based coatings due to its durability and ability to maintain original gloss longer than other surface coatings.

The risk of color fading is one of the most common causes of failure in resin-based coatings. PVDF resins provide a solution to this problem as they are transparent to UV rays and provide a surface coating that prevents color fading.

UNICHEM Offers Coil Coating Solutions 

Universal Chemicals & Coatings, Inc., UNICHEM, is a technology leader with more than 50 years of experience in providing custom coatings, adhesives, and paints. Our experienced team designs and manufactures high-performance functional coatings, drum and pail container linings and laminating adhesives by utilizing optimized raw materials and our unique technical expertise. We help manufacturers and coil coaters to troubleshoot laminating and painting failures to provide high quality, consistent and cost-efficient production.

UNICHEM is an industry leader in coil coated adhesives for laminates and coatings for prepainted metal applications. Our team consists of the leading, high-tech engineers with vast experience in resin science and process technology. Contact us to learn more about utilizing the best resin based coating for your prepainted metal application.