Antimicrobial coating technology can be incorporated into the manufacturing of various surface coatings and paints to provide protection against growth of harmful microbes. There are many different types of coatings with various properties and benefits such as protecting surfaces against degradation or corrosion, for example. Antimicrobial coatings can provide these benefits along with helping to prevent the buildup of harmful germs including bacteria, viruses, mold, and mildew.
What Is an Antimicrobial Coating?
Antimicrobial coating technology incorporates an active ingredient or chemical to provide efficacy against fungal, microbe and bacterial growth. Microbe buildup on surfaces can not only spread disease, but may also lead to foul odor, staining of surfaces, or premature degradation of products. Incorporating antimicrobial coating technology into surface coatings at the point of manufacture provides ongoing protection against a wide range of harmful microbes.
Antimicrobial coatings may include powder coatings, solvents, liquids, or water-based coatings. Seamless incorporation into surface coating manufacturing provides protection without altering the final finish of coatings or paints. Different types of coatings may incorporate antimicrobial technology in a wide range of settings.
Where Are Antimicrobial Coatings Most Beneficial?
Antimicrobial coating technology can be incorporated into a wide range of surface coatings and paints to provide protection in many environments and settings. One of the most important areas where protectant surface coatings are valuable is the healthcare industry. In spite of stringent manual cleaning methods, many people contract infections just from visiting hospitals and medical facilities. Protecting surfaces in these environments can provide significant benefits.
Some of the most beneficial areas were antimicrobial coating technology provide significant benefit include:
- Hospitals and healthcare – protecting surfaces such as handrails, surfaces in patient rooms, and even medical equipment helps to keep hospitals safer.
- Commercial properties – businesses and industrial manufacturers can protect employees with antimicrobial coating technology used in their facility and they can incorporate in their products added protection.
- Public places – schools, libraries, airports, bus stations, subways, and other public and mass transit environments can protect the public against the spread of infection with antimicrobial coatings.
- Home goods and housewares – home goods manufactured with antimicrobial coating technology provide added benefits to consumers.
- Appliances – protecting appliances such as refrigerator surfaces and handles, ovens and microwaves gives consumers added protection against the buildup of harmful microbes.
- Building products – incorporating antimicrobial coating technology into various building products such as doors, walls, windows, stairways, handrails, and other building surfaces provide added protection against spread of disease.
High-Performance uniCLER Antimicrobial Coating Technology
Universal Chemicals & Coatings, Inc., UNICHEM, offers high performance uniCLER antimicrobial coating technology. UNICHEM develops antimicrobial chemistries with careful consideration to meet all application requirements including material properties, service conditions, desired efficacy, and regulatory compliance. With more than 50 years of experience in developing high-performance custom coatings and paints, we examine the material properties and chemistry to develop the perfect protective solution.
UNICHEM is a leading custom chemicals and coatings supplier with dedicated teams of coating specialists with vast expertise in resin science and polymer chemistry. We offer custom coating solutions to meet your application requirements based on fundamental science, research, and vast market expertise. Contact us to learn how to include antimicrobial coating technology in your products or environment.